History's End

History will end only when Man does

Name:
Location: United States
Blogroll Me!
  • E-Mail me
  • Saturday, February 26, 2005

    9/11 Republican

    Here is a story about someone who experienced a radical transformation of their life in just a few years.

    Having been indoctrinated in the postcolonialist, self-loathing school of multiculturalism, I thought America was the root of all evil in the world. Its democratic form of government and capitalist economic system was nothing more than a machine in which citizens were forced to be cogs. I put aside the nagging question of why so many people all over the world risk their lives to come to the United States. Freedom of speech, religious freedom, women's rights, gay rights (yes, even without same-sex marriage), social and economic mobility, relative racial harmony and democracy itself were all taken for granted in my narrow, insulated world view.

    So, what happened to change all that? In a nutshell, 9/11. The terrorist attacks on this country were not only an act of war but also a crime against humanity. It seemed glaringly obvious to me at the time, and it still does today. But the reaction of my former comrades on the left bespoke a different perspective. The day after the attacks, I dragged myself into work, still in a state of shock, and the first thing I heard was one of my co-workers bellowing triumphantly, "Bush got his war!" There was little sympathy for the victims of this horrific attack, only an irrational hatred for their own country.

    This kind of story isn't uncommon, I am sure there are many Americans with similar tales of political shifts resulting from the World Historical that was 9/11. The long term impact of this is only just being felt.

    Hat Tip: WizBang!

    Update: One person who underwent such a change is Jane. Charles also underwent something similar. As did Roger, to a lesser degree.

    |
    Listed on BlogShares Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com