History's End

History will end only when Man does

Name:
Location: United States
Blogroll Me!
  • E-Mail me
  • Thursday, February 03, 2005

    FMA

    Plenty of others have covered the State of the Union in depth, so there is only one thing I intend to cover at the moment. I was perplexed when Bush brought up the Federal Marriage Amendment, considering that is not going to pass in the Congress. I doubt it would work to have the states call a Convention, either. So why bring it up?

    I can think of only three reasons:

    1) Laying the ground-work for the mid-term elections in 2006. Perhaps the administration wants to remove the "red state" democrats in the Senate with Republicans. The Same-sex marriage issue is one that might work there against the Democrats.

    2) The Administration is worried about the President's base among Evangelicals, and wants to keep their support up. Either the support is flagging, or perhaps the intention is to boost up support in order to gain help for other initiatives.

    3) Lastly, perhaps Bush is actually rather serious about this issue. I don't think that is the case, but I might be wrong. Perhaps now that the election is over he feels that something might be possible with regards to FMA.

    |
    Listed on BlogShares Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com