History's End

History will end only when Man does

Name:
Location: United States
Blogroll Me!
  • E-Mail me
  • Tuesday, April 12, 2005

    News from Lebanon

    Michael Totten is still posting from Lebabon over at Spirit of America's LebanonBlog. His latest installment is truly great, a simple excerpt:

    Talk turned instantly to politics, as it almost always does here. A Lebanese-American I met in a restaurant told me it has always been this way in Lebanon. It's not just because of the upheaval now.

    I wanted to make sure these guys knew a huge cross-section of the American people support what they are doing.

    "It feels kinda weird, man" Hisham said.

    "Why?" I said.

    "Because we don't know what you want from us. What's in it for you?"

    "Look," I said. "We live in a free country."

    "Oh yes, I know," Hashim's friend said. "We really envy you for what you have."

    "So we want you to be free, too," I said. "Americans hate dictatorship and oppression. No one should have to live like that. You're fighting for what we believe in, so of course we support you."

    They seemed slightly wary, like I was blowing smoke.

    "Okay," Hashim said. "Who decides what kind of freedom we have in Lebanon?"

    "You," I said and pointed at him personally.

    "Yes!" he said. "Who decides what kind of freedom people will have in Iraq?"

    "Iraqis," I said.

    "Yes!" he said. He then took out a card and wrote his name, phone number, and email address on the back of it. He handed it to me, shook my hand, and said "You have a friend in Lebanon now. You will always be welcome here."

    The rest is worth reading as well.

    |
    Listed on BlogShares Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com