History's End

History will end only when Man does

Name:
Location: United States
Blogroll Me!
  • E-Mail me
  • Saturday, October 23, 2004

    Where Will it End?

    I am sure by now that you have all heard of the Guardian's call for someone to assassinate President Bush. This doesn't surprise me in the least, in part because the boards of the Guardian have long abounded with such talk. Gerard Vanderleun has paid special attention to such behaviour in the past, in part because he thinks it will inevitably lead to an assassination attempt on George Bush. I agree. Indeed, I have wondered at times why it hasn't happened yet. Eventually I concluded it was because people (the people, in this case, who would attempt such an action) have naturally assumed that President Bush will not be re-elected. So I surmised before that in the event of a Bush re-election there will be a serious attempt against the President's life. Perhaps more than one. The irony of this, of course, is that in striking down the President they may give him a hero status that he lacked in death. Abraham Lincoln was despised while alive by many in the US and Europe. Daily articles were written about him, and flattering they were not. Yet his assassination changed this almost immediately. A profound sense of shame, I suspect, was the reason for it. However, in this day and age, do those same detractors have any shame? I don't think so. But the average American might. Let us hope we don't find out.

    |
    Listed on BlogShares Weblog Commenting and Trackback by HaloScan.com